Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's Official - James Gunn Confirmed to Direct and Rewrite GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Collider.com


james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-slice
Last month, we reported the exciting news that James Gunn (Super) was in talks to directMarvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.  Today, Gunn has confirmed that he will direct the film, and he will also rewrite Chris McCoy and Nicole Perlman‘s script.  Guardians is by far the strangest Marvel movie to date (a talking space raccoon is just one of the more bizarre elements), and getting an offbeat voice like Gunn in the director’s chair is a savvy move on behalf of Marvel and President of Production Kevin Feige.  I’m also jazzed that he’ll be writing the script.  As we saw with The Avengers, when the director is also the writer, the project can truly take on a unique personality.
Hit the jump for more including a statement from Gunn.  Guardians of the Galaxy is due out August 1, 2014.
james-gunnGunn announced his hiring on his Facebook page by releasing this statement:
For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy. As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!
Iguardians-of-the-galaxy-movie‘m sure we’ll hear a little more from him before August 2014, although it will be in an official capacity rather than his usual off-the-cuff remarks from his Facebook and Twitter feeds.
Last week, Joss Whedon commented on what we can expect from Gunn’s take on the material:
“He has a very twisted take on it, but it all comes from a real love for the material. It’s going to be hard for the humans to keep up. I know he’s going to come from left field and I’m going to go, ‘What?’ And then, ‘Of course, why didn’t I think of that?’ And then I’m going to beat him!”
For those unfamiliar with Guardians of the Galaxy, the team of intergalactic defenders features the characters StarLordRocket RaccoonDrax the DestroyerGamora, and Groot.  It’s been speculated that this movie will do the heavy lifting of transitioning the villain Thanos into The Avengers 2.
guardians-of-the-galaxy-movie-logo


No comments:

Post a Comment