Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bill Maher says sorry to ‘witch’ O’Donnell

Politico 

Bill Maher apologizing to a Republican? It happened.

On his HBO show on Friday, the comedian apologized in person to Christine O’Donnell for making her life “hell” during the tea partier’s failed 2010 bid for Delaware’s Senate seat. In September 2010, Maher aired footage of O’Donnell appearing on his old show “Politically Incorrect,” when she said in October 1999 that she “dabbled into witchcraft.”

“I know when I brought out the witch tape I made your life hell and I’m sorry about that,” Maher said “Real Time with Bill Maher.”

“Aw, thank you,” O’Donnell said.

Maher added: “I gotta say, I don’t agree with your ideas but it shouldn’t have hung on that stupid witch thing.”


O’Donnell didn’t let Maher take all the blame, saying that part of her loss was a “self-inflicted wound” because she “put out that stupid ad” in which she proclaimed, “I’m not a witch.” But she was careful not to use the phrase again Friday.

“I’m not gonna say it here,” she said, laughing. “I had never approved that ad. And it got leaked out. There’s a balance when you get into politics between knowing when to trust your gut instincts and when to rely on your advisers. And it really is a delicate balance. I learned the lesson the hard way.”

Maher then added: “I did kind of make you a star.”

“You know what’s funny, my campaign manager kept texting me what to say if you said that. And I’m like, ‘He’s not that egotisical. He’s not going to bring that up.’”

She added: “So how about this, since you made me a star, you donate a million dollars to my PAC. Equal opportunity here.”

Maher quipped: “And they say Republicans don’t have a sense of humor.”

Maher also invited O’Donnell back on her show, an offer she might take him up on.

“Are you going to run again?” he asked.

“Perhaps,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment