Friday, January 28, 2011

First Look: The NEW ThunderCats

Back in June we learned that Warner Bros. was planning to make a whole new animated series based on the classic 80s cartoon ThunderCats. Last summer, we got our first look at the concept art for the new show … today, we get our first official look at how the characters will look in this new series. I’d be lying if, based on this first look, I didn’t say that I am starting to get worried about this new show.

A reboot of “ThunderCats,” the popular 1980s animated series that depicts cat-like humanoid aliens battling evil, is set to premiere later this year on the Cartoon Network and the first promotional image for the new show was recently released. The new show is a product of Warner Bros. and Japanese animation Studio4°C, which produced “The Animatrix,” and “Halo Legends.” Cartoon Network writer Todd Casey posted an image from the new “ThunderCats” on his Twitter page, adding: “ThunderCats (officially) Ho!!,” a reference to ThunderCats leader Lion-O’s battle call. Pictured are Lion-O, Cheetara, Tygra, and Panthro. Among those missing from the photo are younger ThunderCats and twins WilyKit and WilyKat, as well as the team’s pet, Snarf. “Rest assured, he’ll be in the show!” Casey said. “We’ll try and make sure he’s in the next batch of artwork released.”
HMMMMMM. Here is another photo that features this new batch of ThunderCats:

So …. what do you think? My initial reaction is … I don’t like the look of the new characters. I much prefer the way the characters look in the original series:


But, that’s not to say that I won’t A.) still watch the show and B.) grow to like the characters. The original characters are so dear to me that any changes would not be welcome … but I’ll wait to see the show to make a final determination. These new ThunderCats look far too manga for me … they also look much younger than they should (er, you know, for humanoid cat people). My heart isn’t in love with these ThunderCats just yet … but maybe that will change.

What do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment