Friday, April 15, 2011

Review - Scream 4 - C-

Scream 4       C-
Directed by Wes Craven
Starring: Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courteney Cox, Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin
I’m torn as I think about my viewing experience of ‘Scream 4.’  On one side, it is a passable slasher movie that is a bit long in the franchise tooth.  On the other, it is an excellent commentary on our need for more; more blood, more terror, more everything.  The need for openness and extreme comes at what cost.  When I walk into a Wes Craven ‘Scream’ film, I don’t want a message so points off for trying to making the audience think.
We pick up the Woodsboro Murder story with our heroine Sydney Preston as she comes to town on the last stop of her book tour.  Our beloved Sydney has written a self help book for the victims of the world.  Meanwhile, the body count clock has already started to tick.  After all, it is the anniversary of the original murders.  I know it’s a BAD set up!  It’s a slasher movie!  Stick your head in your popcorn and wait for act two...the new rules.  Anyone can die, including the virgins.  The cops guarding, oh yeah, they are toast.  Friends, enemies, family are now all fair game. 
All viewers want to know are two things:
-          Is it scary?  I jumped a few times and there was a great shot of teen entrails, so yes.
-          Was it fun?  I did not feel the need to beat the movie usher for my money back.  I left the theater happy about spending my 8 bucks, but regretting all the popcorn I had just eaten.
Go, enjoy yourself, but check your brain in at the door.
Pros: Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere make the movie.  The third act, beginning at Scabfest, is where the plot finally jells.
Cons: For the love of all that is Holy, STOP with the IPhone product placement.  David Arquette and Courteney Cox problems in real life make it a little hard to suspend your disbelief, which in a horror movie, is very necessary.
Pagan Content: None
Rating – C-  It would have been a D+, but I awarded points for the Culkin.  However, points were lost for the awesomely bad use of Anna Paquin.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Scream movies, can't wait to see it. I'm not really expecting much, but I love Kevin Williamson so I have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete