Friday, May 20, 2011

REVIEW - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - A+

I know it's 2:50 am.  I know I should be asleep.  I HAD to post my review while the image of Captain Jack Sparrow was floating before my eyes...or maybe that's just the guy cosplaying him in the theater.  It's late and I'm a little tired.

Reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, I went in the movie expecting a popcorn flick with cutie factor, thanks to our hero Johnny Depp.  What I got for the bags under my eyes was fun, exciting, witty and hands down, the BEST Penélope Cruz film I have ever watched.  She and Depp trade barbs and swords like an old, waltzing couple.  She made an excellent foil for the Captain.

The return of Geoffrey Rush as our beloved (is that the right word) Barbossa and Kevin McNally as Gibbs was joyous, wig and all in Rush's case:-)  Welcome additions to the mythology are Ian McShane as Blackbeard and Richard Griffiths as King George.  I have always found McShane to be a bit of a movie whore, selling himself to any two-bit director, however here, he was well cast.  He seemed to be relishing the roll as Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge.

If you are a fan of the genre, of action or of Mr. Depp, don't hesitate, just hand over the money and go.  The 3D is well worth the fee.  It is the best 3D film I have seen since 'Avatar', and I do see most of them.  The majority of the time, they are unfortunate...'Rio' and 'The Last Airbender', I'm looking at you.  'Jackass 3D', you had poop, so you are off the hook...

Pros: Johnny 'Freakin' Depp having a blast as his alter-ego.  Everyone in the cast having a great time.  The smoochy, romance bits were short and less painful than the earlier trilogy.  I love them, but you can only watch Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley roll their eyes at each other for so long.  GREAT 3D!!!

Cons: The Spaniards all looked like they would have been picked up by Madonna.  Did they really look that pretty back then?  The religion angles felt a bit heavy handed.  The Pagan VS. Christian tones (No, I will not go into detail, it's a plot point) were trite.

Pagan Content: Due to the genre, it was steeped in it.  From Zombies to Mermaids, all Pirate lore was fully covered.  Also, some really excellent VooDoo doll tools were employed.

WARNING - STAY FOR THE END!!!

Rating - A+


No comments:

Post a Comment