Friday, September 17, 2010

Zealots

Zealot, in Hebrew kanai (קנאי, frequently used in plural form, קנאים (kana'im)), means one who is zealous on behalf of God. The term derives from Greek ζηλωτής (zelotes), "emulator, zealous admirer or follower".


I am a firm believer that three topics should never be discussed in a work place: religion, politics and sports.

I lived in Washington D.C. for 13 years and these are the topics that get you in the most trouble.  Have you ever been in DC after a Redskins loss?  I know every city can say that but in DC, I swear, laws were passed based on the Redskins doing well, or in most cases, badly.

I recently moved deeper into the buckle of the Bible belt.  I won’t say exactly where, but I can easily get to Lynchburg and Liberty University from here.  Hello, buckle…

I had a co-worker show me a picture of a bumper sticker showing a plane flying into the World Trade Center.  It said, “A Learned All I Need To Know About Islam From 9/11.”  I was speechless.  I had to read it twice to absorb it.  I looked at him and didn’t know what to say.  Then he added, “Isn’t it true.  I fought in Iraq and I know.  I’m getting one for my truck.”  I looked at him and told him my 9/11 story.  Not only did I loose a friend in one tower, I almost lost two family members.  Also, my daughter’s best friend’s mother, who was wearing her head scarf, was almost sexually assaulting in our parking lot.  They saw her taking out the trash and attacked her while yelling, “Towel headed bitch.”  I stated to him that there are just as many religious zealots on both sides - Christian zealots and Muslim zealots.  I also told him that I do not like to discuss religion at work, because as a religious outsider, I find opinions disrespectful.  Another co-worker, whose head popped up, asked me to repeat myself.  I repeated what I had said about zealots, both Christian and Muslim.  That is the only explanation for Rev. Phelps and 9/11.  I then repeated that I didn’t like to discuss religion at work.  Opinions do not need to be shared about something so personal in the work place.

She only listened to the Christian zealot comment, tuned out EVERYTHING else and is now giving me the cold shoulder.  They are now praying for me.  I even got an invite to one of their churches, which I said yes too.  She then retracted it.  Gotta love hypocrisy!  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment