Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ek Thi Daayan: Has Indian cinema ever explored the lore of witches?

IBNLive


New Delhi: It's not just the serial kisser image that is synonymous to Emraan Hashmi, but the actor has also been the face of horror series in Bollywood recently. After being a part of the 'Raaz' series, Emraan is set to return to the silver screen with yet another horror film 'Ek Thi Daayan'.
However, the actor believes that the film is nothing like anything ever seen on the silver screen as it is a different interpretation of horror.
"Ek Thi Daayan deals with daayans (witches) which has not been explored much in Indian cinema. It is a different interpretation of horror. The film is more psychological and at the same time there are a couple of jump-out-of-seat moments. It does not have the cliches of the horror films, in fact it is tasteful horror," said Emraan during an interview.

Taking inspiration from the folklores, 'Ek Thi Daayan' brings back the popular notion of witches to the silver screen but at the same time it re-interprets the image of a 'daayan'.
"The folklores always talked about the daayans as old ladies with big bags. However, with 'Ek Thi Daayan' we have reinterpreted the image of a 'daayan' in film", adds producer Vishal Bhardwaj.
For a self-confessed horror film fanatic like Hashmi it was the script that appealed him the most before signing on the film. "I am playing the role of an illusionist in the film for which I learned a few magic tricks. I think 'Ek Thi Daayan' is one of the best thrillers I have ever done as the script is very exciting. It builds on the folklores and stereotypes."
'Ek Thi Daayan' is Hashmi's yet another attempt to break away from the serial kisser image by experimenting with different kinds of roles since the actor doesn't want to get stereotyped. "I try to do as many different films and characters as possible. Somewhere these scenes find their way into my films. It has become almost an image, a cliche in my films. I don't think that people can really stereotype someone through one particular scene. Through my different characters, films and genres, I try to stay away from getting stereotyped."
Within a decade in the film industry, Hashmi has been able to carve a niche for himself with different roles as he doesn't want to stick to one formula and be a part of the rat race. "I have never considered myself as part of the rat race. I have carved a niche from the choice of films that are very different from what's out there. My films have been panned by most of the critics and accepted by fair amount of audiences. Slowly they have become commercial hits and are blocking great numbers at the box office."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment