Captain America: The First Avenger was Captain of the Box Office this weekend!
The movie brought some energy to the superhero franchise since most recent movies X-Men: First Class and Green Lantern were disappointments at the box office.
The Paramount/Marvel film brought in $65.8 million over the weekend, surpassing Thor, which came in at $65.7 million during its debut in May.
The predominately male audience gave the film good reviews, which catapulted the movie into first place, knocking down last week's blockbuster, record-breaking Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Harry dropped by 72%, but still brought in impressive numbers with $48.1 million in its second week. Within a week, the movie has almost hit $1 billion worldwide.
Despite the endless promotion, Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis' movie Friends with Benefits brought in an underwhelming number of $18.5 million, coming in third place in its opening weekend. Decent, but not enough to be considered a success.
Here's the top 10 films of the weekend:
1. Captain America: The First Avenger — $65.8 milSo, what did U see this weekend, Perezcious readers??
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 — $48.1 mil
3. Friends with Benefits — $18.5 mil
4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon — $12 mil
5. Horrible Bosses — $11.7 mil
6. Zookeeper — $8.7 mil
7. Cars 2 — $5.7 mil
8. Winnie the Pooh — $5.1 mil
9. Bad Teacher — $2.6 mil
10. Midnight in Paris — $1.9 mil