Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Emma Watson named U.N. Goodwill Ambassador

Wonderwall

Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage
                                                   
Emma Watson named U.N. Goodwill Ambassador
Brown University and "Harry Potter" alum Emma Watson is getting ready to take on a different kind of role: the 24-year-old star has been named a Goodwill Ambassador in gender equality for the United Nations. "So excited to start work with the AMAZING people at UN Women!" Watson tweeted on Monday. The public response to her news was so strong that her tweet, which name-checked Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, the Under Secretary-General and executive director of U.N. Women, broke the U.N.'s website as a traffic overload forced it to shut down.
 
"Women's rights are something so inextricably linked with who I am, so deeply personal and rooted in my life that I can't imagine an opportunity more exciting," the actress said in a statement. "I still have so much to learn, but as I progress I hope to bring more of my individual knowledge, experience and awareness to this role."
 
According to E! News, Watson will be tasked with aiding in with the group's women's-empowerment campaign, HeForShe.

No comments:

Post a Comment