Thursday, May 29, 2014

Maleficent - B

 
Good evening, my beautiful Beasties...

Went to 'Maleficent' with the WHOLE family tonight for a really fun double feature of 'X-Men: Days of Futures Past (A-) and 'Maleficent.'  We missed the 3D of 'X-Men,' so I can't speak of it, but we caught the opening of the 3D 'Maleficent.'  Woot!

'Maleficent,' like 'Wicked,' explores the behind the scenes of Disney's iconic villain from the classic 'Sleeping Beauty' and her betrayal that ultimately fuels her revenge.  Princess Aurora, the King's daughter, is caught between the forest kingdom, the human kingdom and a magic curse.


 
Is Maleficent ultimately evil?  Is Aurora the key to peace in the land?  Is there such thing as 'true love's kiss?  I will not spoil the film for you.  It takes some wonderful twists from the original story and overall, I really enjoyed the ride.  Think 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead,' and ignore the critics that will say it's 'Wicked'-like...it has more humour and Angelina Jolie looks like she is having a grand time!

Pros:
- Angelina Freaking Jolie!!!
- Beautiful Effects - The moors are believable and hold up to the 3D.  The flying scenes are exceptional, even though I must admit that I like my 3D with some cheese factor.
- Sam Riley as Diaval the Raven.  My favourite character in the film.  He was fun, sarcastic, and stole every scene.  He was the opposite of my main Con, the King.
- Soundtrack - Watch the video below...breathtaking song.  This is coming from a non-Lana Del Ray fan.



Cons:
- The King SUCKS!!!  If you are going to stand toe-to-toe with Jolie, grow a pair!  What happened to you between 'District 9' and 'Maleficent?'  Awful, awful, awful!!!
- The Fairy Godmothers - the only bad effects...
- Voice-Over - It works, but I still hate them.
- Scary for younger children.

Pagan Content - This film will make you proud to be Pagan, Witch, etc.  I had many knowing smiles.  Also, a great conversation starter for kids just beginning down the path.  Good lessons, but spoilers abound, so I will leave the details out.

Night, night, wee Beasties;)

No comments:

Post a Comment