Monday, December 13, 2010

The Wonder Woman TV Series Is Not Yet Certain

“There’s no real deal in place yet."
Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:34 am
Back in October we learned the exciting (and somewhat worrisome) news that Warner Bros. is planning to make an all-new Wonder Woman TV series but today we learn from producer David E. Kelley (who is interested in helming the new series) that there is no deal yet in place to bring Wonder Woman back to the small screen. But, despite the fact that nothing has been officially determined, he is still very much interested in running the show:

We may have to wait a while for the return of Wonder Woman to live-action television. That’s because writer-producer David E. Kelley, who was reported in October to be adapting the superhero project, hasn’t “necessarily committed” to the series. “There’s no real deal in place yet, but yeah, my intent is to take a stab at it,” Kelley, creator of Chicago Hope, The Practice and Ally McBeal, told Zap2it. “I’ve been working on it between scripts for Harry’s Law. It’s a very, very different genre for me, a very tricky beast. I won’t know whether I’ve cracked it or not until I’ve finished it, but it’s going.” Needless to say, it’s far too early to speculate who might be cast as the Amazon Princess, last played on live-action TV three decades ago by Lynda Carter. “At the beginning, there was a little bit of that,” Kelley said, “but we quickly made it known that was premature. I haven’t necessarily committed to doing it yet. I’m at the point where I’m trying to figure out if I can make the franchise work for me. [...] If I can’t, I don’t want to delude Warner Bros. or anybody else that I should be doing it.” That probably won’t fill Wonder Woman fans with much confidence. But neither will Kelley’s acknowledgment that he won’t know whether the project is “a fertile and creative place where I want to live” until he actually begins writing — which probably won’t be for a while.
HMMM … well, mebbe this is all for the best. As I said before, I’m excited by the prospect of Wonder Woman making her return to TV but the show has to be done right. I trust David E. Kelley would be a great person to run the show but if he’s not quite ready to get to work on the show, I’m happy to wait until the time is right. The original Wonder Woman series from the late 70′s is so epic, I would hate for a new show rushed to production to ruin WW‘s reputation. I’m willing to wait so long as they take their time and do right by Wonder Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment